Tuesday, May 5, 2009

ANZAC Day

this is at about 3 pm, and i should have been told to go home THEN.

I know, I know, it has been a long time since I have updated my blog. I have been busy, but now I have a lot to write about and I will start with the wonderful holiday of ANZAC...

ANZAC means australian new zealand army corps and it is supposed to be a day of remembrance for those who served and died in World War 1. We never really figured out what this day was close to; it wasn't like 4th of July because they have Australia Day here, and it isn't like Veterans Day because well, no one drinks and parties all day for that. Whatever it is, we had a blast. What really happens on this wonderful day is:: there are services all over the country at 5 am (here they were on our beaches) which are followed with a big breakfast and coffee with whiskey in it, basically starting the partying off EARLY. We wanted to make it to the services, but it was just too early. When we finally woke up at around 11 we got dressed and went over to a friends apartment right on the beach to start drinking. We drank there for about an hour or 2 and headed off to the horse races.

When we got there everyone was pretty drunk, but decided we should probably just keep drinking- because its the logical thing to do. After a few more beers I decided I was smart enough to pick the winning horses, so I began betting. I didn't actually spend that much (maybe a total of $20 on a few $5 bets) but it was really fun thinking I was actually going to win!

When the races were over we headed back to Newcastle to continue the merriment. After Chrissy and I tried, unsucessfully, to sneak our way on to a chartered bus we hopped in a cab and went back to our friend Alex's apartment. I'm still not entirely sure why we went there, but I do know we kept up the drinking. After God knows how much time at his place headed into town to some of our favorite bars. This is at about 5 pm. We went to the first bar and met up with a ton of friends, spent and few hours there and headed over to the Brewery mainly because its where everyone else wanted to go.

I got in the door just fine, but Chrissy was rejected for being too drunk. I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but they REALLY hate letting drunk people in their bars here. I think they get really big fines for it or something, but I find it annoying. So, in our drunken stupor we decided to get back into line and try to get Chrissy in again because obviously they would forget us right? Well luck was on our side because she actually was allowed in! Once I got there I decided I didn't need to be drinking anymore, so I just sat around talking to people until I realized I should call it a night. Chrissy didn't want to leave but I wanted to make sure I caught the last train to I could make it home without taking an expensive cab. At this point its not even midnight. Chrissy tried to go upstairs with the rest of the people we were with, but the bouncer told her it was time to call it a night, so we both headed home. It was an amazing day filled with crazy stories, drinks, and friends but I think it is safe to say that I am glad this is my one and only ANZAC day, because I don't think my body could handle another one. (the pictures are really out of order, but you get the idea)

andrew and i. no, we didnt plan this picture
we all lost our bets :o(
the whole horserace crew
the gang
yes, we actually saw horses
alex and i so excited to win! (even though we didnt.)
i wanted money!!
right before chrissy and I finally called it a night
kris and i!
seriously, someone should have put us in a cab.
seriously.
mark and i!
Clearly, it was time to call it a night much before we actually did so.
Alex, Chrissy, Mary Catherine, Shay and myself at Finnegans
Laura "resting" at Alex's after the horse races.
I have no idea who this is, but we danced together. A lot.
A view of the stands from where we were dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment